Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mushroom Rice

     Rice is such a versatile ingredient because it tastes great with just some butter or it can be flavored with whatever you are cooking it with. Mushrooms are another one of my favorite ingredients to use because there a so many kinds of them which allows them to be used in a variety of different dishes. So naturally the two of them work well together. This recipe would be a great side dish but I decided to make this a one pan meal and added some beef strips that had been seasoned with salt and pepper.
     Instead of using butter I used olive oil to saute the green onion, garlic and mushrooms. I took some of the other user suggestions and added more mushrooms. Wegmans has 8oz packages of pre-sliced mushrooms so I just used the whole package. I sauteed these until they were soft and added the beef strips until they were browned on the outside. Next I added the broth and a cup of uncooked rice. Instead of chicken broth I used beef broth because it compliments the meaty flavor of the mushrooms. As for the rice, I have stopped using regular white rice because it isn't as flavorful as some of the specialty rices out there. I have been using jasmine rice as of late and we really enjoy it. I let this simmer for about 20 minutes and garnished with parsley and parmesan cheese.
     Christine thought that the mushroom flavor was too overpowering and I could see where she was coming from but I thought the rice didn't have enough flavor overall. The rice even though it was cooked in beef broth with the mushrooms and other ingredients was kind of bland in my opinion.
Rating: Fair - I'd like to make this again but it will need some improvements

No comments:

Post a Comment