Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

     On the weekend I like to make dishes that require a lot of time for preperation. I don't want to come home during the week after working all day and spend 30 minutes to an hour cutting vegetables or making three different sauces and then wait another 30 minutes to an hour until it's done cooking. 
     This recipe for enchiladas calls for cooked chicken but the time it takes to cook the chicken isn't included in the overall time. You could use a precooked chicken whether it be canned or a store bought rotisserie chicken. I decided to cut up a few chicken breast and season them with taco seasoning. I sauteed the chicken in some olive oil until cooked through and turned off the heat. While making the sauce I omitted the green chiles for the sake of our stomachs. We like our food spicy but our stomachs don't unfortunately. When it came time to add the cheese I decided to use mexican cheese blend instead of the cheddar called for in the recipe. Since I had the chicken in a pan already, I just poured 1/4 of the sauce into the pan with the chicken in it and mixed that together. Before putting the chicken and sauce mixture on the tortillas I decided to spread some refried bean on the torilla to make them hold together easier. I found this will be a step I will continue to use from now on, both because of the taste and the helpfulness. I spooned in the chicken mixture and rolled them up. I was generous with the amount of chicken I used in each enchilada so we ended up with five full ones instead of six. Christine poured the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and topped it with mexican cheese. As one last step I had bought some enchilada sauce so I poured about a half a can over the layer of cheese and sprinkled some cheese on top of the sauce before putting it in the oven.
     As you can see from the picture, they certainly looked great. But how did they taste? In one word: great. With some chopped tomato and a dollop of sour cream these were very tasty. We appreciated that they weren't spicy and they filled us up. I even had leftovers for lunch the next day.
Rating: Yummy - These are a nice change from having tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment