Tuesday, March 23, 2010

White Cheese Chicken Lasagna with Spinach

     ***My first recipe review is from All Recipes as will most of the recipes that I will review. Some will come from cookbooks but for the most part I stick to that website since there are so many to pick from and the layout is great. You can create a profile for free and have a recipe box to save the recipes that you like.***
     I was having my brother over for dinner a few Sundays ago and when I have guests over I like to make a casserole or a baked pasta so I'm not huddled over the stove making a mess everywhere instead of talking with my guests. I've never made lasagna before but I know from others that it's a pain in the butt because of both the layering and sauce making process. Since I wasn't making a big vat of red sauce it made this recipe a bit easier to make. The white sauce was easy to make in a large skillet but it must be atleast 13 inches in diameter otherwise I would suggest using a medium size pot. I followed the recipe for the sauce exactly as printed but when it came to the layering process I ran into a problem. I had forgotten to buy ricotta cheese and it is a staple in most lasagna recipes. I'm not a huge ricotta fan and was certainly not going to go back out to buy it. I needed something to keep the noodles moist so I remembered from a previous recipe that sour cream will work just as well. I followed the directions and began to layer the noodles and sauce while substituting sour cream where the ricotta would normally go. With fingers crossed, I put the lasagna into the oven hoping that all would turn out well. The result couldn't have been better, the noodles were nice and moist and it turned out so creamy. A side salad would have been a nice start to the meal but we decided to forgo that and just had the lasagna which was very filling. One thing I forgot to mention was that I used no boil lasagna noodles which probably made the layering process easier because they are rigid unlike regular noodles which are "floppy" once boiled.
Rating: Yummy - I almost prefered this to a traditional lasagna with red sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment