Friday, March 26, 2010

Spaghetti Pie

     When a recipe gets over 253 reviews equating to a 4 and 1/2 star rating on Allrecipes.com it is usually a pretty safe bet that it is going to come out well. I've had some recipes in the past with even more reviews and a higher rating come out poorly though. This recipe however fell in between the two. Christine and Matt thought it was good and that is as high as I would consider rating this recipe. After reading a good amount of the reviews, I made a few changes to tryand make this dish better.
     I only used 3/4 of a pound of spaghetti since there were only three of us eating and I thought a pound would be too much. While the pasta cooked I sauted a chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic in a tablespoon of butter. Once the onions cooked to a nice golden brown I added the ground beef, added the salt and pepper but omitted the garlic powder since I used fresh garlic. We don't really care for green pepper so we decided to skip that as well. Once the beef was cooked through I added a 24oz jar of Wegmans Select sundried tomato pasta sauce and let that simmer for about 20 minutes. While that simmered and the pasta was near completion I started on the most intriguing part of the dish. A white creamy sauce made up of sour cream, cream cheese, and green onions was to be spread over the pasta and underneath the meat and sauce. I had a taste of the white creamy mixture and thought it would be a great base for a dip. I tossed the pasta with some butter and parmesan cheese to keep it from drying out in the oven. The pasta then went in a pan that had been sprayed with olive oil non-stick spray. The white creamy mix was spread over the pasta and the meat sauce was poured on top of that. Finally, I sprinkled a good amount of mozzarella instead of the cheedar cheese that the recipe called for only because of personal preference. Baked the whole thing in an oven at 350 uncovered until the cheese had melted.
     When I pulled this out and started portioning it onto our plates I was really looking forward to eating it. As a finishing touch I sprinkled some parsley on for presentation. I'm not going to say this was a bad recipe because I had seconds but it tasted like spaghetti with sour cream on it. It wasn't a bad taste but it wasn't anything special either. When I got a second helping I decided to mix the layers all together and that for some reason gave it a better taste. I think this was because I wasn't able to get a taste of just the sour cream, cream cheese, and green onion mixture. Even though Christine and Matt liked it, I may or may not make this again.
Rating: Fair - This recipe needed some help to be good and it'll need more help to be great

No comments:

Post a Comment