Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Banana Bread Muffins


     Earlier in the week at work, I was a part of the Healthy Weight Collaborative Conference for the state of Delaware. Because it was a conference regarding obesity and healthy living, the breakfast and lunch spread had lots of fruit. Due to bad weather less people than expected showed up which left us with, among other things, twenty bananas. I took about eight of them with the thoughts of making banana bread. The key to good banana bread is really ripe bananas. I prefer to let them to get completely brown on the outside. When you peel them they should be mostly soft and darkened. Unfortunately, even as I write this, the bananas are not quite to that state but I decided to go ahead make banana bread muffins Saturday night to eat for breakfast the next morning. The recipe is actually mother’s recipe, which I won't be giving out, and the only one I’ll use.
     While these were really good, I wish I had eaten one Saturday night because I, like most people, like the hardened top of the muffin. By the next morning the tops had become soft but it wasn't a huge deal. My only problem with them was they were a tad on the dry side, something that never happens when I make a full loaf. A light spread of butter took care of the dryness and added a creamy texture in the process. Thankfully, I have six more bananas getting darker as the days go by. By the middle of the week I’ll be making a couple full loaves.
Rating: Yummy – Muffins were good but loaves are better

No comments:

Post a Comment