Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Eggs In A Basket


     This dish has many names: toad in a hole, egg in a frame, cowboy eggs and eggs in a basket just to name a few. It has always been, by far, my favorite breakfast dish ever since I was a little kid. I’ve made it numerous times since I’ve been out on my own and I think I’ve finally perfected the art of making it. On Sunday morning, I think they came out as close to perfect as one could possibly make them. If you like fried eggs, no matter how hard you want them cooked, this is a nice change from just eggs and toast on a plate. Here is what you’ll need:
Spreadable butter
Butter spray
Slices of sandwich bread
Eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste
Shot Glass
     I didn’t list amounts for the butter, eggs, or the bread because it depends on how many you are making. This recipe follows a 1:1 ratio so if you want one egg in a basket then you need one slice of bread, one egg, and enough butter to butter both sides of the bread. If you are making more than one, I suggest buttering both sides of all the slices of bread you are going to use. Using the shot glass cut out the center of each slice and set aside. Heat up a large pan on medium heat and liberally coat with non stick butter spray. When making more than two or three, re-spray the pan after every couple of slices. Once the pan is heated, place the bread flat on the pan and crack the egg into the hole. Cook the egg for one to two minutes, just enough to get a spatula under the egg, then flip it over so the bread lays flat and continue cooking to the doneness you are looking for. While you are cooking the egg in the bread, places the small cut out pieces in the pan as well, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides.
     I made six slices, two of which I accidentally cooked to over hard while tending to the bacon I was making on a griddle. The other four came out over medium, which is how I wanted them. Over medium gives you the piece of mind that the egg white has cooked throughly while still giving you some yolk to dip the crispy circle toasts in. Each slice was golden brown and had a crunchy buttery taste. With a little bit of salt and pepper, there's nothing better.
Rating: Delectable - My favorite breakfast...what can I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment