Thursday, June 3, 2010

Corn Flake Chicken Tenders & Seasoned Potato Wedges

     I had the idea of serving Matt a dish that my mom used to make when we were kids paired with a recipe I made for football one Sunday afternoon. Baked Corn Flake crusted chicken tenders and baked potato wedges are a healthy alternative to heavily breaded and fried tenders and French fries. I remember eating the chicken tenders with a side of honey and bbq sauce for dipping. They were crunchy and had a sweet taste from the cereal while still being tender. The potato wedges were a huge hit when I made them for the guests I had over for football. Paprika, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder mixed with olive oil spice up russet potato wedges that gives them a kick once baked. I hoped that the combination of the two would make a great meal. Here are the recipes:
Potato Wedges
3 Russet potatoes cut into wedges
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
3 tablespoons olive oil
Olive oil for drizzling
Corn Flake Crusted Chicken Tenders
2 lbs. Chicken tenderloins or Chicken breast cut into strips
4 cups crushed Corn Flakes
1 tablespoon season salt
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water or milk
Olive oil for drizzling
     Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees and start working on the potatoes. I leave the skin on the potato when I cut it into wedges. Once you have cut the potatoes up, put them in a large mix bowl and set aside. Combine the spices and the olive in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour this mixture over the potatoes and stir the potatoes around until they are coated on all sides. Drizzle olive oil on a large baking sheet and spread the potatoes evenly on top. Put the potatoes in the oven for about 25 – 35 minutes depending on how thick you cut the potatoes, flipping once. Immediately get started on the chicken so both will be done around the same time. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a deep mixing bowl then eat the eggs and water (or milk) in a small bowl. Dip a few tenders at a time in the egg wash and then roll them in the dry ingredients until fully coated. Place these on a plate with a paper towel on it until you have coated all of the tenders you will be cooking. Drizzle olive oil on a large baking sheet and place the tenders on the sheet about an inch apart. Put the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping once.
     When the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork, they are done. The chicken however is tricky because each piece won’t be the same size. I cut the thickest piece to make sure there is no pink left. The potatoes were thick and tender with the consistency of steak fries. The spices added a kick but could be adjusted if you like it more or less spicy. The chicken didn’t get crunchy enough like I wanted and I think I know why. The pieces I cut were thicker than when my mom made them so there was more juice which soaked the cornflakes, not allowing them to stay crunchy. The chicken was tender and cooked perfectly in my opinion. I think I will change the size of the chicken slices next time and change the steps during the breading process.
Rating: Fair - These recipes need some work but definitely worth another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment